Saturday 20 August 2011

Identity Writing Competition

I just Entered a writing competition to write a short story (2000 words or less) on the topic of identity, below is the story.  Enjoy.

Identity

The journey had been a tiresome one, I was tired, I don’t even remember how I made it, I was just one of many that survived, I’m not even sure if the rest made it. I searched and searched through indescribable conditions but still nothing, no one, I was definitely alone, I must rest now; I managed to find somewhere warm, it was still dark but it was warm, the warmth drowned me into a deep sleep that took me back to where my kind were together in the millions, we were inseparable, we worked together and fought together we were happy.
Then it happened, the war started, we were losing millions of troops every day, whoever left never came back, there was no report and no information, we didn't even know if we were wining? No one knew, the last thing I remembered was being transported then we landed in water. I awoke in the same position I fell asleep, I was hungry, no longer than I had had the thought of food and it appeared, what was this place maybe I had been captured? Then why hasn’t anyone interrogated me? My mind started playing tricks on me and my body started to feel strange, I had come to the conclusion that i was in a cell, a prison of some sort with no window, no door, I don’t know how they were getting the food to me either, I decided to wait, nothing.
The only thing that I could establish was night and day, the night weren’t as warm as the days so I suspect the temperature dropped at night, still it was a useless piece of information because I had no plan of escape yet, but when I do It will have to be in the day.
I tried to stay awake by entertaining myself; I needed to stay awake to see who brought the food or to see how it got it here, if there is a way to get it in here there must be a way to get out. I fell asleep, the frustration was having an effect on me, I was captive and even though I was alive and being fed something way different about me, I felt different, I wasn’t losing my mind but my structure was changing, I think I know why I’m alive, someone was doing experiments on me, I could see a slight change in myself.
Days went by and still no one? Followed by weeks then months, every day I changed, everyday there was something new on me, they obviously wanted to keep my mind intact and just abuse my body for experiments, I was changing and I didn’t like it there was no point in screaming or saying anything, no one was there to listen. They must be making me into a weapon to use against my own kind maybe that’s why no one came back, maybe they were all destroyed by something like what I have become. As my body structure changed so did my cell, they must have moved me in the night when they drug me with that food, my cell was bigger but not big enough, I’m pretty sure that at the rate I’m going there going to have to move me every month.
I started to hear things, things that I had never heard before in all my life, there was also movement, maybe I was being transported I reached out to hold on to my cell but was thrown around everywhere, left, right and upside down, the noise grew louder as I laid there, it wasn’t clear what it was, I wasn’t alone, there is something out there, I don’t know what it was and I don’t care. I had been locked in here for months, a prisoner, an experiment, I felt like a freak I wasn’t the same, they had captured me and experimented on me and now I needed to escape, I began using every part of my freakish body to attack the cell I was in, I was going to break free no matter what.
Every time I lashed out the noise grew louder, they were coming for me but I was escaping, enough was enough, I kept lashing out furiously until the cell ruptured, I was free, I could see a light in the far distance where the sound was coming from, I must of found a weakness where I was, the tunnel was small but it was the only way out, I had to see where I was I wanted to see who had me as there prisoner, why was I being treated this way and what did I look like? I was me but I wasn’t the old me.
I made my way down pushing further inch by inch, the noise was getting louder but I couldn’t tell if they were in front of me or behind me, I didn’t care and I didn’t and couldn’t go back, whatever was out there I had to face, as I drew closer the light became brighter and it was colder, I was nearly there, I was nearly free. Thoughts ran into my mind as I rested from exhaustion, I was hungry but this time food didn’t come, the cold air slowly penetrated into the tunnel, this was it, as I started again the noise followed , it was close but so was I, I’m nearly there, just a little bit further, the tunnel opened up as I pushed my body through into the cold air, sounds echoed all around me, the noised that followed me had stopped, I had escaped, I opened my eyes and looked up, I had not see anything for a long time, everything was a blur, I could feel a warmth on me, it was a careful touch, I was free, I was free, I let out a cry of freedom. Suddenly all the noise stopped around me and only one voice spoke.

It’s a boy.

written 20/08/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment